I love looking for easy dinners to make on a weeknight that are full of vegetables, and this one was a winner in all ways. It completely fulfills any vegetable cravings I get, while being thick and hearty enough to actually fill me up. I wasn’t hungry again just a few hours after eating which is quite a feat at 7 months pregnant.
I also think this dish is pretty easy to customize. Don’t like tomatoes? Take them out. Add more zucchini, or try tossing in a potato. It might take a little trial and error, but I really believe this is a soup that can be made with almost any combination of vegetables.
I used carrots, onions, zucchini, and tomatoes. I could easily see the addition of potatoes, mushrooms, spinach or some other wilting green, and any number of root vegetables.
Try out your own combinations and tell me how they work!
Fast and Easy Vegetable Polenta Soup
1 medium onion, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 zucchini, diced
3 whole cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
4 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 t dried thyme (use fresh if available)
2 T dried parsley (use fresh if available)
4 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup polenta or cornmeal
3 T butter
salt and pepper
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. When melted, add onions and carrots. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the zucchini, tomato and garlic to the pot. Saute until soft, about 3 minutes.
3. Add thyme, parsley and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
4. Slowly add the polenta, stirring gently but continuously while cooking it over medium low heat for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in remaining butter and serve.